Wednesday, January 25, 2012

No more resumes?!

"No more resumes" is what some companies are saying. They're experiencing resume overload thanks to the job market today, which I can certainly understand. Some companies now are asking potential candidates to send an email with examples of their "web presence." This article was on the Wall Street Journal's website and I found it particularly interesting, especially since I'm in the midst of job-searching right now.

I've posted an entry about making your resume "tech-savvy," which goes along with this idea. I include links to this blog and my LinkedIn profile on my resume, and usually mention them somewhere in my cover letter as well, in case the company doesn't examine my resume thoroughly. Examples of websites to include to prove your "web presence" include: a blog, LinkedIn profile, Twitter, Facebook [if appropriate and public], Tumblr, or Four Square.

Answering a questionnaire in your cover letter to apply to a job is also not unheard of these days. It's another quick way to get a glimpse of a candidate's personality. In today's job market it's very important to have your resume/cover letter/questionnaire stick out. Maybe we can all take a cue from Elle Woods in the movie Legally Blonde with her perfume-scented resume!

No comments:

Post a Comment