Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mentors Wanted!

As I quickly learned after my first Public Relations internship, college courses in PR only get you so far. Don't get me wrong, I liked [more like ADORED] my PR professors at good ol' West Chester University, but the professors obviously can't teach the students every possible thing they'll encounter in the PR world. I'm sure this is the case for many college grads entering the workforce or beginning an internship. It even applied to my event planning courses. College courses can only get you so far; being immersed in the field teaches far more. And for me, being a hands-on learner, my internship and PR/Event planning jobs I've had thus far, have taught me much more than I learned in the classroom.

Finding someone who can be your mentor in the field you desire to be in is a great tip for college grads. It could be a previous graduate from your university doing something you aspire to do, or a boss, among other options. I consider my mentors to be my current boss at my part-time PR assistant job and my two previous bosses at my internship. I have learned so much from these three powerful and independent women which is much more than I learned in my college courses.

An article on PR Daily recently wrote about the importance of mentors. "Being a mentor is about passing down knowledge and wisdom through the generations," says Angela Betancout of Ambit Marketing. "I will never forget the impact my mentor had in my life and it's important for me to be a mentor now." Angela's statement is so important- to pay it forward. Pass it on. When you are in the place to be a mentor, do so.

Some of the most memorable lessons learned from mentors:

  • My mentor always remained calm under pressure and didn't stress over mistakes. - Phyllis Ershowsky, PKE Marketing & PR Solutions
  • Build relationships, not contacts. - Jasmine Bina, JB Communications
  • Small things do matter so take the extra time to make sure the document is formatted perfectly, that you have double checked your facts, and that you said thank you. - Cathie Ericson, freelance writing and PR consultant.
If you're struggling to find a mentor, contact your former university- they may be able to put you in contact with a graduate who's doing something you aspire to do. Also, even if you cannot find one person to be your mentor, keep your eyes peeled and ears open for any opportunity to learn more about the field you're interested in- every opportunity can be a learning opportunity and taking advantage of them is just as good as having a mentor.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more with this! It's so different once you get out into the workforce.

    ReplyDelete