Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Prepping for Interviews

I feel like I'm always preparing for interviews. Yes, it's good I'm getting the chance to interview for jobs YET I'm not getting any of those jobs. I think I interview well but I recently decided to re-vamp my portfolio which will hopefully speak to my writing and social media skills. If you are in PR or event planning, you need a portfolio- it gives potential employers concrete evidence of your previous work. Items I include in my portfolio are:

  • Press releases I've written. Either from my current job as a PR assistant or my internship at the PR office at WCU while I was in college.
  • Because so many jobs I apply for require a presence on social media, I include screen shots of the social media sites I'm on. These include my Twitter and client's Twitters that I contribute to, LinkedIn, and Facebook. Just hit the PrtSc button while on these pages, open up MS Word, paste, and crop your picture.
  • Screen shots of my blogs. [This blog and this one.] 
  • The Examiner articles I'm a ghost-writer for at my PR job. 
  • Any other work-related writing samples.
I put all of the writing samples in sheet protectors in a binder which is neatly organized and always bring it to interviews. I also have another copy of all the samples in the portfolio in a folder in case I'm being interviewed by a panel of people. So get your portfolio together and go show those future employers what you're made of!

2 comments:

  1. I've never included screen shots in my portfolio...thanks for the tip! What I have been finding during the interview process, is that a lot of employers are now asking to see online portfolios. I need to get working on one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it useful! Let me know if you find a good site for an online portfolio, I've been looking for one too, hopefully for free! I've also considered making a video resume, they've gotten really popular. I think the traditional resume is on it's way out!

      Delete