Friday, February 17, 2012

PR is a "Learn as You Go" Field

I had a wonderful PR professor at West Chester University, I adored him and really learned so much from him. I had my internship at the WCU PR office the following semester and while I used many of the skills I learned in my PR class, I had to learn a lot on the job about writing press releases and about how to work in an office environment.

PR Daily recently wrote an article which I can definitely identify with- "5 PR skills you won't learn in a classroom" by Gini Dietrich.

  1. The business forms. Did you learn how to read a profit and loss statement in college? Do you know how your efforts can affect revenue and margins? If not, find a friend in the accounting department and it will pay off in the long run. [I don't know these things yet! Maybe when I work for a bigger company I'll come across them.]
  2. Old fashioned marketing. PR and marketing go hand-in-hand today so it's important to know the basics of marketing even if you are in PR. Work with the sales team to understand old-fashioned marketing better because it will end up relating to what you're working on too.
  3. How to stay on budget. As you advance in your career, you will most likely be in charge of a budget and forecasting a budget at some point. Budget and forecast conservatively and aggressively. 
  4. Management skills. Whether it be managing a client/customer relationship or managing an internal team or interns, management skills are necessary to succeed in the work force.
  5. Willingness to learn. It is important to learn the business you're promoting- be it the medical field, auto industry, whatever it may be. No one is going to believe what you have to say if you're not knowledgeable on the topic.
Are there any other skills you've picked up on the job that you didn't learn in a classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment