Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"I don't care what time you come to work..."

I love reading about progressive companies- those are the ones I want to work for. The companies that don't require the employees to dress in "business casual" everyday, who allow employees to work from home when they please, whose offices aren't full of the standard cubicles in bland and boring colors-- hire me. Please?

I read an article on Inc.com by Margaret Heffernan about "Why Flexible Hours Inspire Performance." Margaret Heffernan is a 60+ year old woman and she has the right idea here about work hours! She is an entrepreneur and author and has been the CEO of many successful companies and doesn't care what time her employees come in for work. She says, "You could say I'm the opposite of a control freak, in the sense that I have always resisted rules, for myself and for others. Why? Because once you have rules, you have to enforce them- and there's no more tedious task in life."


Well said, Margaret! She's trusted people to get the work done on time and they have. [See where treating employees gets you?!] She also says she takes the same approach to maternity leave- no woman knows exactly what she'll want once the baby arrives so she tells women to "figure out what works for you and let me know." She's never had two proposals alike but none have been unreasonable.

In closing, Margaret says, "I cannot remember a single instance of being disappointed by this approach. ...Instead, I've had the privilege of working with hundreds of dedicated, committed, energetic individuals whose stamina was hugely enhanced by the freedom to work as they saw fit."

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to work for her! Haha. Reminds me a bit of Google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely! Google, Facebook...a lot of techie companies are so progressive. Great approach and clearly the companies are still successful!

      Delete