Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Network the "Right Way"

If only I had a dime for how many times I've been asked, "So what have you been doing since graduating college?" I would be rich and wouldn't need to be looking for a full-time job. I graduated in May 2010 and have been doing the job search ever since, with no luck, yet I still have a positive attitude. Just read my blog title!

I currently have an internship with the Chamber of Commerce in my town, which has already proved to be a great place to make some connections and network, while getting to help out with their events. So I've decided to summarize the The Top Eight Rules of Networking, from an article by Kelly Eggars on Fins Finance website.
  1. Have a solid introduction.
  2. Don't confuse people with your pitch.
  3. Don't tell a sob story.
  4. Spend more time listening than talking.
  5. Avoid being socially inept.
  6. Don't overstay your welcome.
  7. Hand out your business card, not resume.
  8. Follow up and through.
I found these tips and explanations [click on the link above for the full article] to be very helpful and timely for me. I'm attending a Young Professionals Networking Event tomorrow night hosted by the Chamber of Commerce and will certainly be utilizing these tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment